At 9:31pm on Wednesday night, Nanuet FD was alerted to respond to an automatic alarm at the Spring Valley Rest Home on South Pascack Rd. Assistant Chief Todd Giraudin (8-2) was first on scene moments later, and immediately advised 44-Control and responding units of smoke showing from the front of the multiple story assisted living facility.
With the incident upgraded to a working fire, the home's counselors advised Assistant Chiefs Giraudin & Schoenleber (8-2 & 8-3) that at least 3 residents were still inside the building, and possibly unaccounted for. Crews from first due 8-EQ stretched a hand-line to the front of the building and also assisted Asst Chief Billy Schoenleber (8-3) with a primary search.
Crews from second due 8-1500, led by Lieutenant Joe Pacella (8-7) went to the basement, where sprinkler heads had been activated, and a working fire discovered in the laundry room. Firefighter Dylan Sierpinski redirected the stretched hand-line to the basement, and was able to make quick work of the fire, which appeared to have initiated in a clothes dryer.
Upstairs, all residents were accounted for, and evacuated by Assistant Chief Schoenleber (8-3) and other crews on scene.
Crews from 8-1750 performed overhaul of the laundry room to ensure no extension to other areas of the basement.
"The sprinklers did their job, and contained the fire to the laundry room." said Lieutenant Pacella. "Left unchecked, the fire could've easily spread to the rest of the basement, and the living quarters directly above."
All units returned to normal service less than 2hrs later at 11:00pm.